Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Stuck!

There was a day when I couldn't get on the plane.  We had plans to return to Asia, but that day came and went.  First, we were informed that our visas were suspended.  Next, we were told that our flights were cancelled.  So, we realized that we were stuck.  As much as we wanted to make our way back, we couldn't.  As much as our hearts go out to our friends and coworkers there, we can't get there.

Even if we could, we'd probably end up in quarantine for weeks.  We'd probably end up in lock-down in our neighborhood.  We'd probably just be sitting in our home, letting our kids blow off steam in our tiny yard.  So, there's not much difference between being stuck here or there -- except that being stuck here is easier . . .

Have you ever felt guilty that your life isn't harder?  Have you ever looked at someone else's lot in life and felt guilty that you have it so easy?  I've been feeling this a lot lately.  Whether it's more difficult circumstances of work or living through this pandemic.  Whether it's more severe challenges of health or location or separation.  I'm realizing that I am so much better off than almost anyone else in the whole world -- stuck in a quiet, open, clean neighborhood with full pantry, gas in the car, and virtual connections by phone and computer.  Boy, oh, boy do I have it made!  And boy, oh, boy can I start to feel bad that I'm not suffering as much as others.

It reminds me of an experience I had years ago, long before I was married.  I was spending time with a friend who had grown up in a really difficult home situation.  She was telling me about the struggles of living in the household she was born into.  I told her about my growing up -- with two supportive, Godly, committed parents, food, clothing, and all my needs met.  I told her I felt sorry that I had experienced such an easy, encouraging life up to this point.  She stopped me: "Maggie, don't you ever feel guilty about that!  I would never wish for anyone to have more struggle than they've had.  Because you have been loved and supported, you can love and support others.  I'm still trying to heal from what happened to me.  You don't have to use any energy to heal, you can just bless.  Don't waste time feeling guilty when you can feel grateful and serve!"

I will always be indebted to her and that conversation.  Anytime I start to feel guilty that someone is having a harder time than me, I can remember her words and get on with being grateful and serving.  What a foolish thing to wish for more suffering!  There is plenty of it in the world.  I guess, my job today is to find ways to alleviate as much suffering as I can today.  By God's grace, we can use our energy for our neighbors -- and maybe realize just how blessed we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment